Saturday, November 8, 2014

Who Am I and Why Am I Here?

I'm at a loss with what to do with the blind drawing that we did in class for this assignment, so I'm just writing this blog post to examine exactly who I believe I am and why I am here in the Media Arts and Science program at IUPUI.

Talking about the blind drawing, I think it's weird how even as we track our pen movements and our eye movements together the drawing comes out horrendous. 

Who am I? In the literal sense I'm Nathan Nodley, 21, in the Media Arts and Science program at IUPUI. I am not at all a fan of talking in public or even small talk. Small talk as in the occasional time someone you barely know or not at all begins talking to you about random stuff and you just have no idea why. I am a very introverted person as well. If I begin talking to someone about all kinds of things that have to do with me then you can most certainly believe that is a good thing. I tend to not do a lot with friends. For one, I don't hang out with anyone from my high school class anymore and two the new friends I have are in Indy and I live an hour a way so it's hard to find time to get together. Oh and Mexican is my #1 favorite food!!

Why am I here? Why am I in the media arts and science program? First off I really love playing games, but I am also very curious of how everything is made and put together. That's why I chose to go down the path to get into the game industry. It helps to that I very much enjoy thinking up environments/games and doing 3D modeling. I'm still not up to the skill level where I am fully confident in my modeling abilities, but I'm so close and should be there by the end of next semester. Also I really love the feeling of joy I get when I'm playing a really great game for the first time. I can only imagine how it feels for the people who worked on the game knowing there are a lot of people enjoying what was probably a very stressful time making the game. There were two moments where I knew this is what I wanted to do. First, when my favorite game of all time, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, came out it was absolutely the most beautiful game I had ever seen. The environments and vistas were amazing. Second, was when I watched Avatar in theaters.  Nothing could touch that movie in terms of photorealistic CGI.  I was at the time thinking holy crap I want to be able to do this. And I'm on my way to it and I could not be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment